Monday, October 28, 2013

The Ruler of The Underworld

           The Greek mythology seminar was amazing! I loved learning about different gods and goddesses as well as interesting myths and legends. It was also interesting to learn that even modern culture is influenced by Greek mythology. If you look closely at everyday things you can find Greek influence for example, the brand Nike. Nike, in Greek mythology, is the goddess of victory. Mrs. White had us choose and research a god, goddess, or myth that stood out to us and present it. For me, this was the high point of the seminar.
            You can’t talk about one god or myth without talking about them all and because myths are told and passed down from generation to generation orally, there could be thousands of versions of the same myth. The god I chose to present on Saturday was Hades, my favorite Greek god. Hades is my favorite god because he has done so much for the Olympians but he is constantly referenced with darkness, malevolence, hatred, and evil. Hades is actually more passive then depicted. He is the infamous ruler of Tartarus and of the souls who enter his realm. He strictly forbids the dead from leaving and the living from entering and those who tried to cheat death would experience his full and terrifying wrath. Hades created a 3-headed dog known as Cerberus to guard the river between his realm and the realm of the living from souls trying to escape the underworld and mortals who tried to enter. Hades is famously known for creating the Kraken to help the Olympians win the war against the Titans and his father Cronus.

Photo credit: Wikipedia
            As much as I love mythology, I could type pages upon pages about my favorite gods, goddesses, and myths. I am excited to continue my research on Greek mythology and Greek myths. It’s become very addicting for me because the legends are so engaging and enthralling. I can’t wait to increase my knowledge of Greek mythology and find more examples of Greek influence in our everyday lives.     

 -DeRael Edwards

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;