Thursday, October 17, 2013

Michael ? ... NO! it's MICHELANGELO!

Ciao! My name is Courtney Bucknor and I am a Senior at Sacramento Charter High School. This is my second time applying for the Context Travel Rome Scholarship. I want to start by saying that I am very excited to be given a second chance at applying and competing in this scholarship.  I am applying for this scholarship because one of the things that I want to do in life is travel abroad. Rome has always been at the top of my bucket list. I yearn to travel abroad and see what the world has to offer. Although I want to see beyond the state of California that is not the main reason why I am applying for this scholarship. I have a passion for art and history and Rome is one of the oldest civilizations on earth, what better place to start my journey of learning? Last year my motivation and inspiration came from my study in Rome from past history classes but after everything I learned from this scholarship process my passion to go to Rome grew even more. If I am chosen to receive this scholarship what I look forward to the most is experiencing the culture. I love to visit places and see how different people are and the pride they have in where they come from, that’s what I can’t wait to experience.

Myself and the rest of the applicants attended the first seminar of the competition on Monday. We walked into W-5 and saw wonderful Mrs. Everett setting up to teach the blog writing class. After we all were settled in we skyped in Petulia from Rome. We got to ask her some questions about how she got started in Context Travel, Why she loved to travel? and what was her relation to Sac High? It was nice to get her advice about traveling and nice to see that even though her job makes her travel so much and it can be exhausting her love and passion for her job makes it all worth while. It was inspiring to me knowing that could be me someday. After asking more questions we said our goodbyes to Petulia. Mrs. Everett then carried on with the rest of the seminar. She explained to us how to make our blogs stand out so that people will keep wanting to come back to the blog and read them and most importantly to CHECK OUR GRAMMAR she made that very clear to us. After explaining some more tips on how to write a good blog she sent us all on our way to go and write our first blog and finish up our timelines.


When I was researching for my timeline I was really intrigued when I started to research about the Italian renaissance. I loved how the Italian renaissance was a rebirth after the fall of such a powerful empire. This time period is most remembered by the art that was created. The Italian renaissance gave birth to amazing artists, poets and writers. The most well known artist during this time period is Michelangelo who was the architect behind St. Peter’s Basilica.  I spent a lot of time being side tracked and just googling some of the art that was created during this time. It fascinated me that the Italian renaissance resurrected pride in the people after the fall of the roman empire. That is what was my favorite thing about my timeline.

- Courtney Bucknor

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;