Thursday, October 17, 2013

ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY

Hello, my name is Haven Lockhart and I am currently an applicant for the Transforming Youth Through Travel Scholarship. I am a 15 year old student who attends Sacramento Charter High School as a junior. I love to travel, view the world from a different perspective, and learn new things. There are a few reasons why I am applying for this scholarship. The main reason is because I find traveling very interesting. I love learning the history of how and when cities were founded. Being able to see how people live their lives in another country is absolutely amazing. Connecting with new people and seeing the world through their eyes is an experience that everyone should encounter. I would love to visit historical places that I have only seen pictures of in magazines and on television. Another reason why I am applying is because I have siblings who look up to me as a role model. At times it can be hard being the oldest because of all of the pressure but in the end it is worth it. The chance of being selected to travel and study abroad is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am sure that my experience will encourage my brothers and sister to work hard and never give up. This will show them that if they work hard they can go anywhere in life. I want my siblings to have a bright future.
While I was completing my researching for the Rome Timeline there were many time periods that interested me. However, the era that interested me the most was the founding of Rome. There is a famous legend that states that Rome was founded in the fourteenth century by twin brothers named Romulus and Remus. Their father was the god Mars. The brothers' were abandoned as infants and and were raised by a she-wolf and a woodpecker during their early childhood years. When the twins grew up they decided to build a city of their own but could not agree on the location of it. The disagreement soon became a violent one and Romulus killed his brother. After Remus' death, Romulus gained control of the city and named it Rome. I found this legend intriguing because it dealt with the Roman gods and goddesses.Creating this timeline was extremely interesting and I am looking forward to sharing more of the aspects of Roman culture and history. -Haven Lockhart

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;