Sunday, October 5, 2014

Julius Caesar and his journey to greatness

In the French history seminar I learned many things that I had not learned when I was doing my timeline, it was exciting and interesting. Especially, The part of Julius Caesar because his accomplishments and actions remind me in a way of todays society is and the way young adults try to fit in society.
"Siege-alesia-vercingetorix-jules-cesar" by Lionel Royer - Musée CROZATIER du Puy-en-Velay.


Julius Caesar was a Roman general and during his conquest of Gaul invaded many regions. In the battle of Alesia, he was challenged by Vercingetorix a nobleman and leader of Alesia. Vercingetorix built a wall around this region and told Caesar that he would not give up his food. Caesar needed food to feed his men, throughout his invasion he would take food for his men because it was hard for him to invade and travel with enough food supply. Vercingetorix was determined to not give Caesar what he wanted. In response to the wall build by Vercingetorix, Caesar built two other walls surrounding Alesia to trap Vercingetorix. As the weeks passed the people with Vercingetorix started to starve. Worried about his people,Vercingetorix let the women and children out hoping that Caesar would have compassion over the women and children but Caesar didn't do anything. At the end Vercingetorix surrendered to Caesar and was taken as prisoner to Rome. This battle reflects on Caesars ambition and determination of being the greatest.


Caesar invaded these regions to gain status and fame. His main aspiration was to be the greatest and be respected by society.

This topic interest me because, today many individuals act and do things to fit in society and Caesar reflects on that. The purpose, I believe, of Caesars actions was to have a good reputation and to be accepted in his society as a ruler. Similarly, to today young men and women who do drugs, join gangs, dress a certain way, and talk a certain way to fit in with a group of people. They lose their true identity and personality to be accepted. Some even go against their morals to fit in society.

I believe in Caesar and in a way I want to be like him, in the sense of being accepted and recognized for my accomplishments but I do not want to change my personality and identity. I am a proud Chicana and I want people to remember me for who I am and how I influenced my community.


If I get the privilege to go to Paris I would look forward to go into a community of people that I have never seen. I've heard that Paris is a diverse city and that it is welcoming to everyone, so if I go I want to experience the feeling of being accepted as I am. I've been like Caesar, where I had to act and do things to be noticed, but I know that Paris will welcome me and accept me in their society.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;