Monday, November 5, 2012

What is the Empire?

The name is Mayshack, Meryssa Avianne Mayshack. I was born in Los Angeles in 1996 and moved out to Sacramento at the age of 4. I've been out here ever since and plan to travel no matter how it is I do it, when I get older. Context Travel gives me a head start while I'm still in high school, but the traveling isn't what made me apply and grasp the opportunity to go to Europe. It is the experience that interests me. Sitting in the classroom writing, reading surrounded by books and a teacher who speaks in a monotone feeling is nothing compared to an exciting trip. I want to be able to see, hear, feel, and taste the things of Rome. I want to be able to describe it to others in so much detail they can visualize it the same way I've seen it. I look forward to nothing but several types of art in Rome. From culinary arts to performing arts, the food and the Colesseum. I want to be able to witness it all as much as I can. The last project I last finished, Timeline on rome, was very difficult for me. I found it challenging to find the information. It was easier on what to find because they gave us key points, but every time I looked up the information, I wasn't sure if my facts were actually facts. I kept having second thoughts, but my favorite part of my timeline was the Roman Empire. When I did find this information I got into it. I had a different view of the empire. I learned about the empire when I was younger in the 5th grade. My view of it was like if they were always "barbaric" or if they were spartans of a very revengeful army. Now I know that they are just like any army or military from the 1800's and 1900's. What I found significant of the empire was that they split in two because of disagreement. That is when there was an eastern and western empire. The funny part is that when they were as one, they grabbed so much territory it seemed as if they basically ruled half the world. They gained territory from Cathaginians which already owned the entire Western Mediterranean, Greece, Anatolia (Turkey), Syria, and Egypt. They became the center of the world in 800B.C.E. Even though the western empire disappeared and the eastern prevailed, the Roman Empire ended up as one of the best armies like the british empire back in the 1900's. My day in my first seminar class was very interesting. I learned to create a blog like this one which would help me in the future when I travel. I look forward to continue writing blogs like this and get closer to winning the chance to go to rome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;