Monday, November 12, 2012

He Created What!!!?



               
The Roman Art History seminar on Saturday with Mrs. Everett was AWESOME! I learned so much that I never knew before. The time went by so fast that before I knew it I was walking to the car. I didn’t even think to ask about the football game that everyone was just leaving and talking about.  Racing through my mind was the class I had just experienced and my wanting to share it.  I got into the car and told my mom, younger brother and nephews everything that I learned. My nephews were so excited when I told them that the Ninja Turtles they had in their hands, Raphael, Michelangelo  and Leonardo were famous artists in Rome’s history.  I couldn’t believe I never made that connection.  What always fascinates me about learning about history is seeing how it influences us now. It is remarkable to see that the architecture that was created then would later be a basis for the buildings and architecture that we have now.  For example, the Colosseum is one that I would like to visit and am interested to learn more about. I’ve always seen the Colosseum as just a huge bowl like structure that I knew hosted gladiator  games, but that’s all I knew. I didn’t really put together that the Colosseum has inspired famous sports arenas and auditoriums we all go to today.  The Colosseum has so much history to it besides the gladiator games. It’s amazing, fascinating and most importantly inspiring. I learned that the Colosseum worked with such efficiency  it was able to get people in and out within 30 minutes. I can’t even get out of school in 30 minutes! The Colosseum has not only been this huge arena that hosted entertainment but also a roof for those who were homeless after the fall of Rome and an income for those who decided to destroy it to get pieces of copper from within its walls.  Another form of art that Ms. Everett shared with us and interested me was the Frescoes. Frescoes is a form of painting that is done on wet plaster and then painted with layers of pigment. One of the most famous examples of a Fresco is the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel which was painted by the one and only Michelangelo. A Fresco has to be very challenging since you only have a small window of time to paint before the plaster dries up. I can’t imagine painting a ceiling for four years with wet plaster. That is an example of  a true Artist; dedication, patience, precision and pride in their masterpiece.  Today we don’t have that kind of dedication in anything, technology is our crutch and what we rely on. The frescoes in the Sistine Chapel have started to mysteriously deteriorate and its unclear why.  Visitors have been limited as one idea that they have is that too many people may be the reason.  When I learn about these ancient people and their rich history and advances, it really makes me wonder who was really more advanced? I loved the Seminar it went by so quickly it didn’t feel anything like 3 hours.  I have a different appreciation for  Roman art /architecture.  It seems to be everywhere I look and I’ve never really paid attention. From the pillars on the buildings downtown, the dome ceilings in the capitol building, the paintings on the ceilings in churches, like St. Francis and the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacramento and the sculpture of the Pieta that my grandparents have had in their house since I can remember- all of these are all replicas and were inspired by Roman art and history many centuries ago.  I wonder what future generations will get a chance to see and learn about regarding this great history.  I can’t wait till our next seminar…more learning…and more experiences that will not be forgotten.  -Courtney Manriquez B.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;