Monday, November 19, 2012

Caesar, Why did you do that?


Saturday’s last seminar started off on a rocky start.  We were locked out of the building -it was cold, windy and raining. Poor Mr. Dundov had to run around to find a way in. I was hoping that we would get let in so that they didn’t have to cancel the seminar.  We were stuck outside for about 45 before we were let in; that was 45 minutes that was cut from our class time.  Once in class Mr. Dundov started off by showing us a picture of a Colloseum that was on his wall. He asked us to guess where it was from.  Of course all of us knew that it wasn’t the Roman Colosseum since the Colloseum in the picture was still standing and had no destroyed sides.  I thought it was in Greece which was a good guess but not the right answer.  The Colosseum was actually in Croatia. 

After that ice breaker class went by really quick.  Everyone was very into what he was teaching and I almost forgot to write notes as  I was so engaged in the lesson. It didn’t feel like a class at all, Mr. Dundov was so friendly and into what he was talking about it felt as if everyone was just having a conversation about history.  It’s really cool when a teacher can make learning fun and interesting and that’s what I appreciated from the seminar.

 We learned about the Etruscans and how they were the first civilization in Rome and the origins are really unknown but they are the basis of the culture in Rome.  We also found out about the technologies that the Romans were the first to create. The Romans were the first to make aqueducts (water systems), sewage systems and roads.  A very interesting fact that I learned is that the Romans use arches a lot in their architecture.  They figured that arches not only look great they can be strong structures and can save materials.  The most interesting things that I went in the class wanting to learn about were how Julius Caesar came to power as an emperor. Mr. Dundov told us a story about a war that Caesar was in where an emperor was hiding within the walls of his city and he wouldn’t come out.  Caesar then built another wall around the emperor’s original walls to make sure he couldn’t escape or get help without running into Caesars army. Somehow the emperor tried to get help so Caesar had another wall built around again.  That is a lot of determination to get just ONE person. I learned that it was mainly because of the Caesars military that he was able to become the emperor of Rome. Although he technically was the first emperor of Rome he isn’t really credited as the first official emperor of Rome. Octavian Augustus is credited as the first official emperor of Rome. Some fun things I also learned were that the month of July was named July because of Julius Caesar. Also the procedure known as Cesarean Sections on women during child birth is named after Julius Caesar because that is how he was born.  Although Caesar was a powerful leader he started to take advantage of the power he was given and became a tyrant which would later be the reason for his assassination.  A lot of questions that I had were definitely answered in this seminar. I left again a very happy camper. Like the prior seminars the time just flew by and it was a little bittersweet because I was so into the class and I wanted to learn more and more. I went into the car and told my mom some of the cool things that I just learned in the class.  I left and gave my mom a lesson in the car until she begged me to stop! I am very thankful for the experiences in the last three classes and to all of my teachers I’ve learned so much over the past 3 weeks. Thank you! –Courtney Manriquez 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;