Sunday, November 11, 2012

Nothing Compares to Bernini

Saturday was my second seminar class, Art History, which was taught by Mrs. Everett. In this class I learned a lot of new things that I had not known before today. I learned about the different artist that were around in Rome and the different forms of art that controlled Rome fro long periods of time. The different forms was Architecture, Sculpture, and 2D artwork i.e frescoes, mosaics, and paintings.
Out of all those things, the one that stood out the most to me was Bernini. Bernini was a famous architect, playwright, sculptor, craftsman, painter, etc. He did so many things that so many of us are afraid to even try! That is just one of the reasons he stood out to me out of everything else that I learned. Another thing was the fact that he never left Rome but was able to create the Four Rivers Fountain from what he read. Fascinating! He also created a 95ft tall altar called the Papal Altar which is located in St. Peter's. Bernini is also well-known for building Sant'Andrea al Quirinale. It was designed over a twenty year long period and is the last Baroque Church. He was enlisted by the Popes to create it, they wanted it to connect with the people and have the people connect with their faith. I bet it is one of the most incredible things to see in person! He was the first sculptor to figure out the dramatic effect of light on art, this can be seen on his famous masterpiece Ecstasy of Saint Teresa where the light is flooding in from an above source brings it to life. The way they look and the story they are telling in just that one scene is very intense and filled with emotions. Just looking at it allows you to feel the emotions being portrayed. The story behind the sculpture is depicted very well by Bernini. It is just amazing! I hope I can see it in person one day.
Bernini was an amazing artist especially for his time! I do not think anybody can ever measure up to him. He was multi-talented and good at everything he did.
I loved learning about Bernini and everything he accomplished. When I learned just a smidgen of information I had to know more. I am no where near Bernini's level of awesomeness, I don't think anyone is, but just being able to learn about him makes me want to try. Everyone has a talent but I do not know what mine is. I know I am not a Bernini but I am good at something. I just hope I can be as well-known as Bernini is in all of his areas of talent.  Bernini inspires me to want to know more and be the best I can be in this world. He makes me want to try my best and be my best. I want to try and leave a legacy just like he did.
If I get this trip, thanks to Context Travel, I want to visit some of Bernini's famous works, if you could not already tell.
                                 -Jessica M.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;