Monday, November 5, 2012

The beginning of Rome is the beginning of my Journey

                               My name is Taylor Marie Mitchell and my journey through Rome began with the beginning of my timeline. I am a hardworking, life long learning senior, at Sacramento Charter High School with a love for the arts in every way from sculptures to paintings, dance, theater and architecture. My love for the arts is what drives my creativity and passion all while serving as an outlet from my everyday heck tick life. I am applying for the opportunity for travel to a place where many of these aspects originated and thrive today. Being given the opportunity to travel out of the country and learn about Rome not only in one light but in many is what really excites me. I have never traveled outside of the country before however, with this opportunity I recognize that I will be able to travel learn grow and then return home to my community and share my new knowledge  All of these reasons are why I jumped on the opportunity to apply for the scholarship. I know that the journey throughout the process is not easy as I spent 3 weeks without barely any sleep but that is what makes it fun. I am a firm believer that sometimes it is not your destination that is the best part, sometimes, it is the journey. That is what I love about this entire process. The timeline project was a journey instead of completely focusing in on one aspect or part of Roman history as if going to a destination we were able to explore and travel through time creating a journey. If I am given the chance to travel what I look forward to is seeing the Appian Way the first major road in Rome. I would like to see this because it created the foundation for commerce and action in Rome it was also created many years ahead of its time. I would also like to see the city of Rome at night in a tour called the Passeggiata. The Passeggiata would allow me to see the city in the evening when the sun is setting and people are relaxing. I can picture the sun beginning to hide its face behind the welcoming clouds with shades of pink and purple, fresh air filled with sweet smells of bread and joy while I am sitting on the stairs of a building enjoying fresh gelato taking in the livelihood and peace and serenity of a place as unique as Rome. Now, the beginning of  Rome was the beginning of my journey and the period that interested me most was the Etruscan period. Not only were they the first people to settle from what I learned but they also remained in power for a long time before being overthrown. The Etruscan people had alot to offer and even-though they did not create an empire such as the Romans they played prominent roles in laying foundations. For Example the Etruscans believed in multiple Gods. They also believed that things happen to reveal messages. Dispite the fact that religeon throughout the duration of the Roman empire would change the Etruscans were amazing people that layed strong foundations. Finally the arch.  The arch was a creation of the Etruscans and this part of Architecture is still used everywhere around the world today. In closing I find this period to be interesting because it is the beginning and represented the roots of the flower which would one day become Rome.'
                                         Taylor Mitchell


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;