Monday, November 5, 2012

Closer to the Eternal City

Just closer and closer with each day. It can be hard to put in words how excited I get when i think of the possibility of actually visiting the birthplace of the first and greatest empire this world has ever seen.The idea that I can walk the same streets that great kings, philosophers and iconic artists actually walked on is just breathtaking to me and i know, atleast i hope, I'm not the only applicant that feels this way.Before i was even told of this scholarship, I was already a history nut, especially Italian history. It seemed to me, even at such a young age, that Italian culture was so rich that I didn't even realize that our society adopted so much from the ideas of the early italian philosophers, and if i were to recieve this opportunity to witness the living history and this Eternal City, my understanding and appreciation for this culture will never be higher.
My name is Devin Hunter i am honored to say that i am still in the running to recieving the Context Travel Scholarship to Rome, Italy.Throughout this past month, I have been contemplating the idea of visiting Rome and boy i am engorged with glee....and I rarely say the words "engorged" and "glee".One project that I took great pride with was our timeline of Rome's history.
I wanted to make mine look like an ancient Roman temple, but if you didn't see that i am sorry to inform you that I am NOT AN ARTIST, but come midway through my project I start to reserch the Roman Empire, and i had no idea how vast it was.As you can see on my timeline, I tried to fill the spaces with as much vital information on the topic as possible without making it look sloppy. Needless to say the sloppy part was avoided but I feel I could have written so much more of the greatest empire known to man. The time period(27 BC-476 AD) was the era of kings and legends.This empire influenced military strategies, government ideals, and religion throughout the entire world from then and to this day, and to learn how it all came to an end made me feel the way after someone explains how they pulled a coin from my ear. "DUH"! But then i begin to think of what happened after the fall of the empire. For example, the renaissance and the brillant minds and iconic artists that came with it.I began to think, Rome is still alive and breathes through its culture, and is just reborn from the ashes like the phoenix. So now I just wait to get closer and closer, each day, to the Eternal City. Devin Hunter

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so you Devin, putting your thought into it, it makes me feel as though I can hear you speak. Very nice. Especially the "NOT AN ARTIST" part.

Unknown said...

I like the title too!!!

Rome Fellowship Blog said...

Thank you susan

Post a Comment

 
;