Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Smile, We Made It...

My final blog post... I can’t help but feel a little sad as I sit here, typing away at my computer. Even though I took a shot at achieving this fellowship last year, this year was an entirely new experience for me. I know for a fact that the memories and friendships I have forged with Context over the years will last me a lifetime.
This whole process has given me numerous opportunities for personal growth. I can say with confidence that last year, I was very serious and passionate about making sure everything was perfect. I wasn’t being myself because in the back of my mind I thought, “Is that really what they want to see?” I realized this to be a major flaw in my thinking which allowed me to shift my mindset and take a stronger approach this year. I know perfection isn’t realistic and I didn’t want to make myself seem perfect. I wanted to make sure the panel knew my face and truly got the sense of who I am as a person.
Secondly, I wanted to just have fun! Last year, due to my serious manner, I didn’t really allow myself to enjoy it. I treated it as a competition in which I was dead-set on winning. This year, I allowed myself to open up and enjoy the application process. What I took away from this whole experience was to always be myself and show people the true me and what I have to bring to the table. I also admire the growth I’ve seen within my fellow applicants. I feel that everyone showed great determination and passion for this fellowship. I could feel their ambition for wanting to win this competition. It was refreshing to be surrounded by such determined and focused individuals. I can tell the panel is going to have a tough decision to make.
Because this is the end, I want to end on a positive note. Win or lose, I want congratulate everyone. Congratulations on making it all the way to the end, pushing through, and never giving up. We can all proudly say we made it to the end and gave it our all. We completed the entire process which is definitely something to be proud of. We are no longer a group of applicants; we are a part of the Context family. Nine of us remain… and only two will be selected. Let the anxiety begin. I wanted to thank Context as a whole and more specifically Ms. Mills, Ms. Everret, and Mr. Marks for making this another fantastic year. Good luck to my fellow applicants. In just a few more days, the winners will finally be revealed.
~DeRael          

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;