Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Interview with myself, HOW DOES IT FEEL?

Wikimedia Commons: Kate Gibson
Writing blogs over the past three months and sharing my experiences with you gave me a chance to express myself.  I loved the experience, as when I wrote, it felt as though I was a new born baby being born into a new world. I've reflected about each seminar over the past few months. Every seminar was an exciting and informational seminar that taught me to look at the world differently. During the seminars I felt like I was in Paris learning from a docent. My second year applying for Context Travel was stressful and tiring, but I would not trade it for anything in the world. Context Travel and the teachers did a good job on getting us ready for Paris and really living up to their mission: transforming youth through travel. 
Wikimedia Commons: Bill Fogarty:

What did I like most about the application process? Everything. Going through the experiences, I am forever thankful to Context Travel for my new memories. If I had to pick one topic that was my favorite topic, I would pick the trip to San Francisco. I loved that trip most because I got a chance to learn about San Francisco, the other applicants, and eat French dessert. That experience changed my life dramatically by opening my eyes to the City’s history, showing me that I am not alone in my political views, and my taste buds to napoleons.

Picture of Yo-Yo Ma
Wikimedia Commons: Jessie Peter
While not part of the application process, I would have never attended the Yo-Yo Ma lecture without this application experience. Ma explained that music is just your imagination and you are the author of your own imagination. For example, Mr. Ma played a famous classical song for us. When he got done, he asked the audience what they thought about the piece and what emotions we had.  I had different emotions than the other audience members, but he told us that there was no right answer.  He said that it’s just you and your imagination working together to analyze a song, beat by beat. I really enjoyed this because it opened me to classical music and connected it to my love of analyzing items and creating meaning.   

Why did you sign up for Context Travel? I love to travel and am always willing to try new things. When heard about the opportunity to go Rome last year, I took the offer and ran with it. When I wasn't selected, I knew I would apply again this year.  Also Context Travel combines my love of travel with new experiences as I have never been to Paris or Rome or anywhere further than Reno, Nevada. It was fun to learn about the Paris and the changes that they have made from 300 BCE.  It would be amazing to see the changes with my own eyes.

What have you learned from Context Travel? Context Travel and this application process have made me into a different person. Before I started Context Travel, I didn't know how to manage my schedule. With the deadlines to the blogs, I now create and use a daily agenda where I write my assignments and estimate the time each assignment will take. Context Travel has also helped me to just let go, and not worry about what people will say.

Context Travel and the teachers transformed me into a better student and critical thinker. While gaining more information about Paris than others, I was able to work through hard, stressful times where I completed all blogs and assignments required. Never will I trade these experiences for anything. Yes, it was stressful at times, but I have learned so much from Context Travel that I would have never learned from anybody else. For future students that are confused on if they should do Context Travel, I would say yes, do it. What do you have to lose? You’re only going to get stronger.    
Wikimedia Commons:Kate Gibson 
-Roynell Anderson


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;