Friday, November 14, 2014

The "Master Architect" - Exploring San Francisco With Rick Evans

Having been on the Chinatown tour last year, I was excited to participate in a whole new adventure with Rick Evans. I really enjoyed Chinatown, and I was glad the tour on Wednesday was a new experience. Walking down Grant Street in Chinatown, camera in-hand and surrounded by new faces, awakened a sense of deja vu within me. The familiar smells, sights, and sounds bombarded my senses and brought back a wave of memories. The hike up to Coit Tower was also a first for me and quite the workout. Just the thought of it now is making my calves burn. However, with a stunning view of the Golden Gate Bridge and most the city, the journey was definitely worth it.
View from Coit Tower
Photograph By: De'Rael Edwards 

After the trip to Coit Tower, we made our way to La Boulange, a French restaurant in San Francisco for “lunch”. Since it was technical still breakfast time, I ordered an omelette and sat next to Rebeca. We talked about our lives and recent events, and enjoyed our food and the delicious aroma of various smells. After the meal, Mrs. Mills ordered us a large variety of French Desserts. My favorite, of course, was the Macaroon. So delicious in fact, I didn't mind paying for more of the little, overpriced cookies. After we were all full and rejuvenated, it was time to make our way back to the Galleria Park Hotel to finally begin our tour.
My first Macaroon
Photograph By: De'Rael Edwards
During the tour, Rick Evans took us all around San Francisco showing us beautifully designed buildings and astonishing works of architecture and the rich history behind them. My favorite buildings from the tour were that of the architect Willis Polk. Willis Polk is known as the “master architect” for his great revolutions in architectural design. The Hallidie Building, for example, is one of his many masterpieces that flipped conventional architecture on its head. Built in 1917, this building was ahead of its time, boasting the world’s first glass curtain wall and the first building ever to possess a steel frame. Polk used this building to mock the Victorian style of architecture and called about a change to a more modern look.
The Hallidie Building
Photograph By: De'Rael Edwards
Another masterpiece by Willis Polk is the Hobart Building, built in 1914. From afar, this building somewhat resembles a misshapen piece of cake. The building next to it violated the air rights limit. That building was then torn down, resulting in a very visible “exposed wall” as if the building was split directly down the middle. Trust me, you can't miss it. The top of the building resembles a little house which covers the pipes on the roof. The steam from the pipes then comes out of a chimney on top of the house, an original design that has never been recreated.

Wednesday’s trip was fantastic and I would like to thank Rick Evans for another informative tour. I can’t wait to return to San Francisco and find more of those hidden POPOS. I especially love how close the nine of us have gotten. I believe this trip has solidified our friendships and has brought us closer together. Imagine if it were possible for all nine of us to win the scholarship… wouldn’t that be amazing?
~De'Rael          

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;