Friday, November 14, 2014

SF is a Show oFf!!!!

A view of San Francisco from the Tower


 At 7:45 AM we all got in our cars and started to drive toward San Francisco. During the car ride, I could see that people was eager to go on the tour and find out more information about San Francisco. There was never a time where there was silence in the car. That helped me greatly because it made me get familiar with the people I would be talking to during the tour. This trip provided a bonding experience; we really had fun on the tourAnother great experience was when we got a chance to taste France even though we was 5,560 miles away. I ended up with a Provençal BLT; a BLT that had goat cheese on the inside of the breads, aioli, and ciabatta. At first I was hesitant to try the sandwich, but when I got a chance to sit down and eat the 
Provençal BLT

sandwich, I just fell
 in love with itThe taste put me in heaven. My French food  experience just didn't end there. I was also able to taste some of France's favorite desserts. We all got a chance to taste napoleon, macaroncancele, and other fruit tarts. The macaron and the cancele were the best. The macaron looks like an Oreo cookie with a creamy filling in the middle. The cancele is a cake pastry that has a soft warm filling in the middle of the pastry. When you take a bite into the pastry, it feels like you are laying on clouds.  

At 2 pm, we meet our tour guide named Mr. Rick Evans at the Galleria Park Hotel also known as the Sutter Hotel. At the end of the tour, we have found ourselves looking at 10 or more interesting architectural landmarks in San Francisco. We ended at where the shore line of San Francisco started, South Market Street. Last year, we went on a similar walk to Chinatown. I thought that the tours was going to overlap with each other, but it didn't. I really surprised me, because I thought that the Chinese had a lot of influences on the architectural designs. All of San Francisco's architecture was created after the earthquake and fire that happened after 1906. All of these buildings are still up today. I can type until my fingers fall off about San Francisco, but much of what I know is common knowledge.  There are, however, five things I learned about that I believe make my knowledge of the city more than common... 

#5-50,000 gallon water tower on top of residents houses 
Photo Credit: Khunti 
 Yes, there's a 50,000 gallon water tower that is on top of 425 First Street. Also called the One Rincon Hill. which is homes to a lot of residents that is willing to pay over $920,000. This is a residential complex that is 60 stories high and have high speed elevators that can get you to floors quicker than average elevators. The 50,000 gallon water tower helps the skyscraper survive high-winds and earthquakes. I would like to live in these apartments because I will be able to see the view of the bay bridge and I'm also able to witness the making of a new transit station, park, and a 90 stories building in the middle of San Francisco. The two reasons why I'm not living their today is because I'm not old enough to live by myself and also I don't have $920,000 to be spending on an apartment.  

#4-UC Berkeley owns a building created by Willis Polk 
Photo Credit: Roynell Anderson
Now those wondering who Willis Polk is or how can UC Berkeley own a building, just hold on I will answer those two questions and many more. Willis Polk was an American architect that created most of San Francisco's old and famous buildings today. Called Hallidie Buildings which is located at 130 Sutter Street. During this time, the government of San Francisco paid Polk to do what he want to do to the architecture. I wish that San Francisco did not give him that much power because if you go to down Sutter Street, you will see a big blue and gold building in the middle of these pale buildings. Majority of the people that takes Mr. Evans' tour, says that the building is ugly and it was, that's the reason why nobody
wanted to buy the building until 1924, making it the World's first and only glass curtain building to be sold to an university. Let's give UC Berkeley a big hand, for owning such a beautiful masterpiece. Willis Polk will be so proud. 






#3-Borrowing/Buying airspace!?!?!!?? 
Example of floor added to buildings 
What is an airspace? Good question. Airspace is the land that building owns for their buildings. They are able to sell their airspace to the building right of them or to the left of them. For example, if you have a zoning area of 30 floors and only use 12 floors. You are now able to sell those airspace to one of the buildings that is on the side of you. Not in front of you or in the back of you. That's a No-No. It will mess up the zoning because each block have a pacific amount of airspace they can have on that block. Now what happen if a building on the right of me already used up their limit of 30 floors? That's another good question. If a building on the side of you have used all of their airspace, then you are able to sell it to the building and they will just start adding onto the amount they already have. Which is bad for the city because each block have their own zoning limit, but good for people that is eating lunch on popos because they are able to shade themselves from the sun and enjoy their lunch. 
Map of POPOS

#2-POPOS-My favorite place to go 
What comes to minds thinking of the world popo Some think of police, but that's not the popo I'm talking about. No, this popo stands for Private Owned Public Owned Spaces. There are over 56 popos over the city of San Francisco. The only reason why you don't hear about these popos
 is because they for the public, but also they are private owned by companies. It's smart because the city is making the corporations pay for taxes on the popos. I have never heard of a popos until now. Whenever I get a chance to go back to San Francisco, I'm going to take my family and friends up to the popos and look at the view of the city. If you want to see a map of             the popos: http://www.localecology.org/images/popos_SF.pdf 

#1-INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION all over again 
By the year 2016, San Francisco is suppose to be the most populated, smartest, and have the most technology businesses.  Some of these would be a station where the bullet train will be at, a park on the third floor, and a mall on the first floor. The item that I like the most about the remodeling of San Francisco, is that they are making a bullet train that travels from San Francisco to Los Angeles in two and a half hours. That's impressive. I will be the first one to get on that bullet train. I also like that big technology companies present and growing in San Francisco. My dad and I are geeks and nerds, and we love the activities and culture that comes with the technology in San Francisco. By the technology companies coming in, it will bring more people into San Francisco and then it will be the wealthiest city in America. I hope San Francisco has enough homes for these people. If they don't, then they should start building them. If you would like to the planning of the bullet train and the ideas they have for the park and bus stations, just check out: http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/ and http://transbaycenter.org/interactive 
Visual of San Francisco's transit station

My trip to San Francisco was the best trip that I have ever gone on in years. I really liked the car ride there and back because we was able to bound as a group and we learned a lot from and about each others. If I had to compare Chinatown to the architectural walk, I will probably pick the architectural walk. Both walks where fantastic and Mr. Rick Evans is a great tour guide but the bullet train and the POPOS stand out to me the most.  That concludes my blog. If I don't go to Paris, I will like to thank Context Travel for the opportunity to do this program. I will also like to thank Ms. Everett and all the seminar's teachers. I have learned a lot from the seminars and I will use them in the future, whether I go on the trip or not. If I do go to Paris, that's a good thing because that means I won and also I get a chance to write more blogs. YAY! Thank you for everything you have done, Context Travel. It have been a fun ride. 

-Roynell Anderson   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;