Friday, November 13, 2015

FRENCH FRIES NOT FREEDOM FRIES


In the most recent seminar for Transforming Youth Through Travel we learned a lot about France’s history and about its monuments and cuisines. The whole seminar was very interesting but the most interesting parts were learning about the history behind the landmarks that are still apart of France to this day. For example, I always knew about the Eiffel Tower and when it was built, but what I didn’t know is that Adolf Hitler during World War II used the Eiffel Tower in his propaganda to basically rub it in France’s face that he was able to take the country. I guess boasting has been around forever. Another example is that I knew about the Arc de Triomphe, but I did not know that Napoleon built it directly in the middle of the city so that every main street would run along that Arc. Talk about conceited.

http://travelhdwallpapers.com/tag/arc-de-triomphe/

Given all the interesting information we learned in class about France I would love to take a tour of it. Some of the walking tours I saw that interested me were the Louvre Antiquities and the Riverboat Tour of Paris. These two stood out the most because we talked about the Louvre and how it was originally a castle that France was no longer using and how some of the most popular tours are via riverboat. It was quite amusing to me how Paris just had a castle to spare and turned it into a museum. According to Mr. Dundov this castle style museum is home to all different types of artwork which peaks my interest immensely. I find it fascinating that we can look at artifacts that surpass our lifetime by centuries. Then of course there is the Riverboat Tour. Now, this tour is one of the most popular ones for tourists which might take away some of the effect, but I want to get to really take in all of Paris and I feel this tour is the best way. Unfortunately, there is no way that we will be able to see the entire city but I would love to get as close as possible.


This entire seminar just excited me more about the prospect of being selected. I would absolutely love to go to Paris and the more I learn about it, the more determined I am to go. What would interest you most about Paris? The monuments? The history? The cuisines? Oh and a very interesting fact Mr. Dundov told us about is how America was in conflict with France and changed the name of French Fries to Freedom Fries for a while, but it didn’t stick. I do not know why but once you know something like that it is very hard to stop thinking about it.

Nyeri Mallory

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;