Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Seductive Sculptures



            There are hundreds of sculptures in the Vatican. When I laid my eyes upon the rows of sculptures, it was utterly amazing. I wasn’t really expecting what I saw in the Vatican. I’m a lover of sculpture and I can tell you, my camera just kept on clicking. These sculptures in the Vatican were mainly made during Ancient and Medieval Rome.



            On our Vatican walk, our docent, Margherita, taught us the important facts and ideas regarding the famous sculptures. One of the sculptures that appealed to me was the famous Belvedere Torso. This sculpture was the one Michelangelo loved the most because it showed the human body to perfection. As we know of Michelangelo, he liked to make all his subjects muscular, even the girls. So when he painted the Sistine Chapel, he incorporated that style on the ceiling. For example, the Creation of Man/ Creation of Adam on the Sistine ceiling depicts Adam sitting on the ground with the same pose as the Belvedere Torso but with limbs and a head. 



            Another sculpture that caught my attention during our Vatican walk was My Loacoön.  This sculpture is  of the Trojan Priest who has two sons entangled by snakes. We can see the strong expressions in all three of their faces and this  intrigues me because the stone was able to capture the emotion of terror. The Belvedere Torso and My Loacoön are both great examples of seductive sculptures that can lure anyone in.  Also, the way these sculptures were sculpted is so realistic and that its unbelievable to me. 
-Susan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;