Friday, March 22, 2013

From Carnage to Heaven


                                                                                
                  Although this was only the first day with both morning and afternoon walks, I have yet to find myself unimpressed with the not only the ever-growing beauty of Roma but also with the rich and monumental history that follows it.  We walked through the monuments themselves, the infamous Coloseum, Palentine Hill, and through the imperial Roman Forums followed by an exclusive look through the underground church of San Clemente and San Paolo. With each possessing their own unique place along side one another it was simple to see how all had made their mark on Roman history.
                  The two specticles that stood out the most to me right from the beginning were, obviously, the Colosseum and ,surprisingly, the buroque styled church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo. Without a doubt in my mind, I know that the Colosem was the land mark of it’s century. Even as an American child growing up, I knew of its rich and yet infamous history, so to speak. This was, at it’s time, the best architectural technology with the combination of a theatre styled infrastructure and arch styled supports all around the arena. This was the number one source of entertainment throughout the Roman empire with no other close competitors. Hundred of exotic animals, people and warriors were captured and slaughtered in the very arena in which I walked today which made me think of how the value of ones life was clearly not very high, especially when it came to entertaining the people of an empire. Although even with the thousands of executions of warriors and animals, the Colosseum is still the front runner of Roman Imperial architecture  and will forever live in glory with it’s infamous history.

                  The next walk we embarked on was a nice gentle change from thininking of all the carnage that occurred in the Colosseum. The walk in SS Giovanni e Poalo proved to be the most beautiful church I have seen in all of Rome so far. It was, in fact, my first time being exposed to the Baroque style of art and archeticture and I was nearly left in tears with just the sight of a small fresco in the far corner of the church. I entered the church with an empty mind and not knowing what to expect and as soon as I stepped through the doors of the church, my heart honestly sunk deep in my chest. I WAS BREATHLESS. It remade my image of what heaven should look like. Just look at how the color reflects on the soft and gentle colors of the paintings above the alter almost as if everyday was lit like a sunset.
                  The second day is now over and can honestly say I have seen one the seven wonders of the world and now I belive they need to make it eight. The SS Giovanni e Paolo church and the Colosseum were two of the biggest buildings I have ever stepped foot in and now I am still hungry for more and I’m told that tomorrow I am in for a treat. I can only hope and dream for more Baroque.
-Devin Hunter

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;