Saturday, March 23, 2013

I’m Too Young to Die


                                                                                     
Am I dreaming or did I really just see heaven? My face and arms are so red because all day I was pinching and slapping myself to make sure I was still breathing and oddly enough, for some moments, I wasn’t because the spectacles I witnessed today are truly breathtaking.  Needless to say, all signs point to, “Yes, Devin. You are finally welcome to the pearly gates”.                

 My focus for today’s walks was to really capture the unbelievably impossible beauty of the Baroque style of art and architecture. I was swept off of my feet once we walked into Borromini’s S. Carlo alle Quattro Fontane which was great because I felt like I had been walking for 10 days. His genius, passion, and artistic creativity is clearly seen through how he wants people to perceive his work. It is clear to see Borromini’s history  through his art and sculptures and they can be seen by small clues he might leave through the art or sculptures. He was truly an artist who deserved so much more then he received but then again he had a humble heart up until the end of his days for not boasting out at anytime his genius went unnoticed.

Although Borromini was clearly an unknown genius of his time, I can understand how people would view his arch rival, Bernini as the superstar of the century. Seeing that he was the creator of the baroque style, that means he was automatically the best and his work speaks for itself.
At first glimpse of the Sant’ Andrea al Quirnale can leave you stunned to know that all of this came from one man’s mind. If I had one hour to pick through both Bernini and Borromini’s minds, I would try to unveil where their beauty of inspiration originates.

It is quite hard for me to put into words how these two men have impacted my view on art culture in less than a day. Both are so much alike and yet they are perceived differently from each other. Both men have styles so similar to one another but yet their society didn’t see it the way we do today. I have to say, both men have clearly impacted me in some magical way because Borromini and Bernini’s churches are to die for and I left believing I have died and gone to heaven.



-Devin Hunter

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;