Friday, December 9, 2011

It's so hard to say goodbye!





As I reflect on the process of the Context competition I just get blown away. It’s amazing how people are willing to sponsor a high school student to have an opportunity to visit Rome for FREE. When I first heard of this opportunity from Kathleen I thought that she was kidding me. I asked her what was the catch and she told me nothing, so like the smart cookie I am, I applied to the fellowship fast.


The first time that I applied for the fellowship I thought we were going to be doing over the top, hard, and long work, but I was wrong. The fellowship didn’t require a lot. We had FIVE major things that we had to do: an interview, attend three seminars, blog about the seminars, complete a Rome timeline, and a mini project. It may sound like a lot, but trust me it’s worth it and the time really flies.


However, when I went through the Context process again, the requirements CHANGED a bit. We still had to attend all three seminars and blog on the things that we learned. We also still had to complete the timeline project. The only thing that really changed was that we weren’t engaged with each other as much. The only time we came together was during the seminars. Now I’m not complaining about that because I can get my homework done with no problem.
This year it seems as if the time just flew by and the process was really short. Either way it goes I’m still happy that I got an OPPORTUNITY to apply to the fellowship.



Now that as I reflect on the process I noticed that it built my MORALS. I constantly told my little brothers and nephew never to give up in life because it will not get you anywhere. I also told them that if they really want something in life go for it, no matter how many times you get denied. Then I realized there’s no way I can tell them those things if I never traveled down a path in which I failed. Then it occurred the first time I applied for the fellowship and lost it hurt, but I still stayed true to myself and to the words that I tell them. I realized that I wasn’t as strong as I needed to be the get the fellowship, so this year I strengthened all of my weaknesses and worked even harder to win. Now as the process comes to an end, I just have to sit and wait for the final decision.


There is no way that I can go without THANKING the people who’s helped me through the process of being considered to attend Rome. I would like to thank all the people who were willing to DONATE money to sponsor a student from St. Hope to travel to Italy. I would also like to thank Mrs. Everett, Mrs. Wanket and Mr. Sullivan who TAUGHT us about Art, History and Greek Mythology. I would also like to thank Mrs. Mills for being really KIND to me. I would like to thank the DOCENTS who love what they do and are willing to give the winner a detailed lesson on different types of subjects. I would like to thank PAUL and LANI for creating such a wonderful organization. Last, but not least, I would like to thank GOD for making all things possible. What all of you guys have done means a lot to me and I’m grateful that I was allowed this opportunity twice.


Love always, Sharqueya Drake

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;