Monday, December 5, 2011

Michael'Angelo, Raphael, but who the hell is Gentileschi?















While I was sitting in the Art Seminar, I thought most of it was going to be review. In my mind we were going to talk about the same artist as usual; Michael ‘Angelo, Raphael, Leonardo and Bernini. Then Mrs. Everett said something about Gentileschi, in my head I’m thinking who the hell is he?


In reality though it wasn’t who he was it was who she was?


As Mrs. Everett continues talking about her I’m just in awe. I never knew that women were allowed to paint in those time periods. In history class we learn that women were unappreciated, their duties were to: take care of the children, clean and cater to their husband’s needs.


However, Gentileschi had other things on her agenda. Since her father Orazio was a painter she followed in his footsteps, she was even better than her brothers. Just like her father she was inspired by Caravaggio and painted during the Baroque period. At the age of SEVENTEEN she painted a famous picture called Susanna e I Vecchioni (Susanna and The Elders). She was even the first female painter to become a member of Accademia di Arte Del Disegno.


Ok so enough about her amazing accomplishments. The part of her story that really interested me was the things she painted about and the message that she got across. Of course like other painters she painted Bible stories, but her stories were all about women and how they’ve been oppressed my men.


I was thinking where did that motivation come from? Wasn’t she scared to get murdered for not doing what other women were doing? Then Mrs. Everett answered all my curiosities, she said that her father hired a tutor to teach her more about painting, but instead of being interested in that art he wanted to do another art that involved at least two people. While no one was around he constantly RAPED her. He even tried to steal paintings from her father. Eventually Orazio pressed charges against the tutor and during trial Gentileschi was TORTURED, so she would drop the charges. The tutor was convicted of one year in prison, but he never spent a day.


That situation inspired Gentileschi to paint about WOMEN who were strong or suffering VICTIMS of rape and torture. Some of her stories came from myths and the Bible. Her most famous painting is JUDITH beheading Holofernes. The painting really shows how Judith and her maidservant murdered the Captain of the army to ensure their safety. Just like the Sirens in Greek Mythology, Judith lured the captain in with her beauty. He never thought that something so beautiful would decided his fate.


Genileschi is such an inspiring role model. Just by her painting inspired me always to use my voice and to never give up. She's taught me that no matter what society believes I can still have my own opinion. Finally, she taught me how to be a leader and do what I please.


I guess James Brown was wrong because it isn’t a men’s world. Thanks to Gentileschi women now have a voice of their own; whether it’s in paintings, movies or songs, we still hear them.


Love always, Sharqueya Drake





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;