Friday, November 18, 2011

Victory is Her's


My name is Sharqueya Drake and this is my second time running for Context Travel.
My sister once told me that there is no way I would win the fellowship this year because I lost last year. However, I’m going to prove her wrong. I want to win the trip for three reasons: I’ve never been out of California so I would love to experience the Roman culture. Also I want to prove everyone wrong who has doubted me. Last, but not least I want to do something positive for my people.
While I was sitting in the seminar and Mrs. Wanket started to speak about Greek Mythology I began to wonder something.
Why is it that when Americans learn about Gods and Goddesses we only talk about the “great ones” such as: Athena, Aphrodite, and Zeus?
In reality they aren’t the great ones. What’s the point of teaching students about a Goddess who stands for peace? But yet were constantly at WAR or BULLYING another nation. What’s the point of teaching about another Goddess who stands for SEX? Yet teenagers are constantly being told not to have sex until were married or “ready.” Finally, what’s the point of learning about a man who shape shifts and cheats on his wife by RAPING others?
One Goddess we should really focus on is NIKE.
Nike is the Goddess who we acquire our motivation from. The whole idea of failure isn’t an option and instead of complaining about something we should JUST DO IT was all derived from her. Nike is the reason why everyone likes to be VICTORIOUS. If it wasn’t for Nike then no one would care about failing, but as Americans that’s our worst nightmare. Nike is the reason why everyone holds high expectations for themselves and others. Nike is the reason why almost every teen fights to get accepted into a great college, so they can be successful. Therefore, Nike should be considered a major goddess and we should give her a lot more credit; besides one of our biggest companies is named after her, so victory really does belong to her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;