Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Sistine Chapel blew my mind !


Today I was lucky to sit in on a seminar on the history of Rome, taught by the intelligent Mr. Sullivan (the walking encyclopedia). Most of the information he went over I already knew from doing my Timeline Project. Although I recognized the information I still learned so much. He went into depth about every monument and statue, as well as detailed stories about the origins of the culture.

When I first heard about the trip I was more interested in visiting Europe than going to Rome. I have to say after today I made a promise to myself that I must visit Rome whether I get this trip or not. I have to see all the history and great culture. I need to walk through the Vatican.

All the talk before about the Sistine Chapel really impressed me ,but I did not become overwhelmed until I saw the photos on Google Maps and the footage from Mr. Sullivan's camera ! When I found out I could be walking on African purple marble and gold , I lost my mind. The extravagance of gold on ceilings, walls, floors and everywhere in sight. The simple fact that the purple marble only existed in Northern Africa and no longer exist is so rare to me. The thought of being able to admire the marble that does not exist anywhere else in the world completely blows my mind.

I thank Mr.Sullivan for his detailed seminar and inspiring me to visit Rome. The addition of exploring Rome through Google Maps really helped. Also I have two more hot spots I have to visit in Rome; Piazza di Campo de Fiori and Via Condotti, 77 00187 Rome, Italy(the Armani store). I really could spend all two weeks exploring the Vatican.
~Akeallah Blair

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;