Sunday, November 20, 2011

Guys in White Robes, Slaves and Mr. Theodosius




There’s no way one can be taught about Rome’s history in one day. Sitting in the seminar with Mr. Sullivan once again was very interesting. Now I do admit that I was a little rusty on some parts, but after a little more explanation I got it down.

I know that when you blog you generally want to focus on one thing, but that’s just impossible with all the history behind Rome. Don’t worry though, I’m not going to sit here and type everything that I learned today because I’m sure you and I have a life. However, I am going to tell you about my top three.

The first interesting thing that I learned today is the true way Julius Caesar was assassinated. The real mind blowing part was when I found out who did it and how. In ancient Roman times the SENATORS wore long white robes to show others two things: they were rich and didn’t do labor. However, that wasn’t the smartest thing they did. Wearing a white robe while killing someone is ridiculous, did they not know that blood stains? Although I do have to give them credit; instead of hiring someone to do it they completed the task on their own and each one of them took turns stabbing Caesar. I guess there was no way one person could tell who killed him. They actually performed team work.

Nowadays if someone were to say slave I would think of a couple things: African Americans and no rights. What I learned today in the seminar was that there was a variety of slaves some were people who owed debt, others were captured in war, but the odd ones were the ones who sold themselves into slavery. There is one group that I was really surprised about being slaves. That group is GLADIATORS.

Who would ever guess that gladiators were slaves, their names seems powerful and they remind people of soldiers and war heroes. I was wrong because gladiators were slaves; they spent countless of hours training around the Colosseum. When their turn came they went out and put on a free show for the public while people bet on them. They were the ancient UFC fighters.

Last, but not least one person that caught my really short attention span was a man named THEODOSIUS. For those of you, who are like me and don’t really know much of history, don’t feel bad because I had the same confused face you have right now.
Theodosius was the actual emperor who made Christianity the official religion in 380AD. Now I know some of you are wondering that Constantine did that, well that’s not true he just tolerated the religion and converted. I guess what goes around really does come back around because the Christians started persecuting the pagans.

Love always, Sharqueya Drake

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;