Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Golden Mountain



Waking up at 5:30 in the morning I was ready to go to San Francisco I had such a fun experience last year with all of the fellow applicants. Well my car didn't think that I needed to go because it wouldn't start so I had to wait for my uncle to bring me his car. I was so scared that I was going to be late. By the time I got to Sac High I was so tired and hungry but so eager to get on the road. I’m not very much a morning person I have to give my body a little bit of time to wake up before I am social and Courtney, so before 7:30 I’m a little bit of a zombie. Aurea and Kiarra sure did wake me up. The car ride was fun I got to connect more with everybody in the car and all we talked about was superheros and music. It was a great start to the day. The car ride was nice too, no traffic, we got to San Francisco pretty quick we were in the car for maybe an hour and a half. As we drove into San Francisco and we were on the Bay Bridge looking at the city I was listening to my iPod and the song Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand came on and as soon as we just left the tunnel the song changed tempo and got me so excited and a little impatient to get out of the car.  

Photo Credit : Courtney Bucknor 
We waited in front of a Starbucks for Mr. Evans, our tour guide.  While we waited we all just talked and got to know each other a little bit better. When Mr. Evans showed up I was in game time mode ready to learn. We stepped to the side of the street to get a good look at the gate that was at the entrance to Chinatown. Originally the “gate” was a symbol of China because in China there are gates that are in front of a town or village, but in San Francisco its not really respected in that way it’s just there to tell you that you're about to enter Chinatown. Chinatown is made up of a number of cultures not just Chinese, but the Chinese are the majority. The first 10 blocks into Chinatown are owned by Israelis. To show us how mixed Chinatown is Mr. Evans showed us a building that was right across the street on the corner when you enter into Chinatown. The building on the bottom was of Israeli brick , the middle was  French Baroque style, and the top was Chinese. If thats not diversity I don’t know what is! Before going inside to Chinatown Mr. Evans wanted to give us the history of how the Chinese came to San Francisco for the gold rush. Chinatown was more of a ghetto that the Chinese were trapped in.  Chinatown was a place where crime, drugs and prostitution took place; because of this not a lot of people wanted to go to Chinatown.
Photo Credit : Google Images 
The Chinese people faced discrimination due to the way they looked and how they spoke.   When the Chinese came to San Francisco they showed up in black attire and with long braids. They were put in Chinatown to be separated from the rest of the city. Chinatown was filled with prostitution, opium, and gambling.  Mr. Evans told us that the earthquake and fire of 1907 really wiped out the financial district and Chinatown. The only thing that survived was St. Mary’s Catholic Church.  As San Francisco started to rebuild that part of the city the Chinese asked the city to allow them to move back into that area with the promise of cleaning up the drugs and crimes that overran that part of the city. San Francisco allowed them to move back into that area and later would use it as a tourist attraction.  Looking around Chinatown there are hints of China’s culture but none of it is authentic - it’s all for show for the enjoyment of the tourists that come and visit. The buildings in Chinatown are interesting, they are Western style architecture with bright balconies and roof tops. I felt like these details tried to create the appearance and set the scene for the visitors to believe themselves in a foreign land and not in San Francisco. This almost made me feel sad because I know the richness of this culture is not represented as I’m sure they would like to see it.



St. Mary's Square
Video Credit : Courtney Bucknor 
Sun Yat Sen
Photo Credit : Courtney Bucknor 
As we continued on with our tour we went to St. Mary’s Square.  Here in this peaceful and quiet place you are greeted by a huge statue of China’s first official president named Sun Yat Sen.  In this setting Mr. Evans began his history lesson about China’s history - history that many other tour guides forget to include on their tours.  Did I tell you that I have some Chinese in me?  One of my great great grandmothers, I guess were Chinese.  Anyway back to the story about President Sun Yat Sen.  Apparently he lived in San Francisco and from this distant land he planned the Chinese revolutionary war thousands of miles away. It is believed that St. Mary’s Square is where he spent a lot of time planning the war. We saw his office in an alley that is now known for its underground gambling. It’s kept secret so that tourists won’t come and disturb the illegal gambling that is going on inside the apartments below. When you enter the alley there is a plaque explaining the alley’s significance, but it is painted to blend in with the brick so that tourists aren't drawn to go and explore the alley and disturb the local gambling.  Just so you know we were very safe and we also didn't disturb the gambling patrons.  As we were finishing up that part of our tour in that alley that shall remain a secret - another tour group walked into the alley and walked right past the plaque without a stop or explanation - if only they knew!  


Tien Hou Temple
Photo Credit : Courtney Bucknor 
Mr. Evans always finds a way to provide us with aerobic exercise.  He led us up three flights of stairs to the Tien Hou Temple. When you first look around there are over a hundred of lanterns hanging from the ceiling.  These lanterns represent people’s wishes for the goddess Tien Hou to grant. Mr. Evans told us that people come to this temple to say prayers and ask for guidance. In order to be able to pray to goddess Tien Hou your chi (ying and yang) must be balanced and you check it by dropping two wooden blocks on the floor.  You will know if your “chi” is balanced by the way they land on the floor.  Then you grab a cup that is full of sticks and you are supposed  to shake it until one stick falls out. On the stick is a number and that number is on a fortune card that gives you your answer. This isn’t just for those that are living.  People come here to give to those who have passed away.  A person buys something that represents things that the deceased person liked.  It can be clothing, money, even electronics and then they burn it in their loved ones memory.  But wait it’s not real it’s just paper! It’s just something that symbolizes their loved ones likes.  It’s really cool. I’m definitely going to bring my family its an amazing experience. One thing that I appreciated is that it’s open to everyone.  No one is restricted to enter based on their religion it’s an entirely spiritual experience.


The View From the Temple
Photo Credit : Courtney Bucknor 


Photo Credit : Courtney Bucknor
So out of the temple and into Portsmouth Square where men and women gamble out in the open while their children/grandchildren play on the jungle gym near by. Crazy! Mr. Evans explained that we were in the exact spot where the American flag was raised that started the Mexican- American War. I was trying to restrain myself from geeking out. Thanks to Mr. Evans I gained a whole new respect for where I live.  Throughout the whole entire tour we all were reminded of Sacramento multiple times. Living in Sacramento I really don’t think of how much of an impact we have had on United States history.

This San Francisco trip was bittersweet because I was able to bond with my fellow candidates and also this is the end of the competition. I’m so thankful to Context Travel , Sac High and St. Hope for making this opportunity available to me. This trip definitely inspired me to learn more about where I’m from, I never thought there could be so much history in Chinatown. All I've known about Chinatown is that it’s a tourist attraction and that it was a place where the Chinese resided when they immigrated here.

We ended our day walking back through Chinatown heading for a place to eat.  These chapters of history closed behind us as we walked through the Chinatown gate we entered.  As we walked back everything I saw around me now had meaning. Thank you Mr. Evans for being such an AMAZING docent! I came home with a rekindled respect for my city and the city of San Francisco where I know there are many more historical facts and secrets that have yet to be told.  Well I have a whole lot of information to tell my mom once again!
Context Travel Applicants of 2013
Photo Credit : Mrs. Everett 
- Courtney Bucknor



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;