Sunday, January 6, 2013

Steps Through the City


My dad lives in San Francisco so I am in the city every other weekend.  A lot of the places we visited and saw I often see on the weekends when I'm with my cousins on the trolley or bus but I had no idea of the rich history surrounding them. I learned that everything currently existing in San Francisco was built after the 1906 earthquake except St. Mary's Catholic Church. The church survived the earthquake and some say it was by God's divine intervention. Our tour guide, Rick Evans, told us about San Francisco's "POPO" policy. POPO stands for "Privately Owned Public Space." When a big company builds a structure in the city they are required to provide a space for the public. The catch is they are not required to inform the public of these areas. So when looking for POPO's in the city its kind of like a scavenger hunt. Within the past few years many profitable tech companies (like twitter, yelp, and apple) have moved their headquarters to San Francisco causing POPO's to pop up everywhere unbeknownst to the public.


For me the most interesting place we visited was the The Heineman or "The Narrow Building" because it serves as a landmark that I'm half way to my Dad's house from my Aunt's house. My cousin's and I always refer to it as the "anorexic building" because it is so skinny. The building itself is 20 feet wide and 80 feet deep and has 10 stories. It was built in 1910 as a factory manufacturing neckties, belts, and suspenders. The owners wanted people to know that they manufactured "skinny things" explaining why the building itself is so skinny. The Heineman building is now currently occupied by a nail salon. The owners are having a hard time trying to lease it out to anyone else because on the building's limited lighting. This weekend when I go to see my dad I am going to give him ass the fun facts about the building in San Francisco.

- Mecca Evans

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;