Sunday, January 6, 2013

History was Around Us All Along



       What a lot of people don't see is the historical findings around them. People may understand that history is being made and that they are apart of it, but may not cherish what is in the past is in the future. Of course we are the future and what ever happens in the present makes the future, but also makes the past.

      Because I have lived in Sacramento for so long, San Francisco looked so different to me. That two hour ride away made it seem like I have transported into another dimension. San Francisco was another world to me. I have been there before, but I was so young I could barely remember. The chaperons and tour guide Rick Evans helped me realize that the earthquake and past wars is what made the architecture I've seen still be there today.

      The most interesting thing  I have seen on the trip was St. Mary's Cathedral. It was the very first historical building we entered before the actual tour and it blew my mind away. The famous earthquake of 1906 created such disaster, but didn't seem to take down the cathedral. What seemed to be so coincidental to me was that it was a church and churches are considered holy. Holy as in untouchable or ground breaking. The earthquake started fires that spreads over miles and destroyed many things leaving buildings in a crumble. The cathedral was the only building standing. Inside the building was colorful windows and nice statues which of course meant something. It all connected to the stories of Jesus. I believe it was destiny for the cathedral to stand through the earthquake and fate for it to be apart of such a miraculous history.

       Not only was the cathedral eye opening, but the architect Willis Polk created many buildings that seemed to create history. There was the world's first glass building, Hallidie Building, which is being constructed due to an accident in the past. The steel frame fell off the building and was forced to be rebuilt, but besides the accident it has changed history from building walls to being able to see through a glass wall showing the inside. Another named The Hobart building looks awfully wierd due to the open, blank, and non decorative wall shown on the left side of the building. It has a rooftop that looks as if there was a mini penthouse on top. Because of it's odd shape it is known as one of Mr. Polk's masterpeices.


       The entire trip helped me see the history people can overlook in their everyday lives. Polk's past helped us create new styles and fashion that gives us a better future and even though many people don't see that they are living around history. I am happy to say that I know the history that is created or already has been created today. This is only the beginning of a journey I hope to seek in the future.


--Meryssa Mayshack







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;