Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Myriah's Reflection, a Conclusion to an Amazing Experience




Applying for the Transforming Youth Through Travel Scholarship was one of the most amazing experiences of my young life. I was able to learn and develop qualities about myself that will help me in my future. Even before I left, I learned so much from the application process itself. I had to learn to work in a timely manner, interview for a position, interact with people from all ages and backgrounds. I had to study and read comprehensive material and be able to have an educated discussion about the texts I read. I even had to formulate question ahead of time for the docents before our trip. The prep classes helped me understand the history of Rome so much better by interacting in a conversation about it.  This process also showed me that if you work hard enough for something and persevere through any obstacles,  you will achieve your own success. 
Before I went on this trip to Rome and Naples I only saw my country's beliefs and culture but going to different country made me realize how different America is from Italy. Italy is a vast, warm, friendly, and strangely organic place. To experience so much history in one country is astounding, overwhelming, but a blessing to witness.
This trip transformed me. 

It made me want to travel throughout college and my adult life to experience more adventures in other countries and learn about their culture. And when I came back, having to create a project to describe my experience taught me even more skills. I learned how to use Final Cut Pro, and work on an Apple Computer which is complex on it’s own.  In short, I gained so much from this scholarship and it was a great experience to cap my senior year. It is something I will never forget.

If you know of a student who is willing to work hard and that is professional yet personable person, I highly recommend you to encourage them to apply, just like my fellow teachers encouraged me. tell them to watch my video to see the work that goes into this beautiful opportunity.  
Thank You.  Myriah Catalano


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;